[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer step complete, but . . . .

tom poe tompoe@amihost.com
Thu Jan 8 13:19:01 2004

Well, that was fun.  I didn't think I was going to get back to the
configure drivers and mixer stuff 'til next week.  This morning, I
checked email, and just had to play a little.

I found a thread in June of last year, where Mark said he unloaded the
asound.state file, ran the alsaconf, then alsamixer, and with Fernando's
help, was able to set up not just one, but two sound cards!  Why two?

Anyway, I unloaded the asound.state file, then ran alsaconf, then
alsamixer, then saved to asound.state, then, and this is the best part,
I loaded the canary1.wav file (my system doesn't have a soundfile.wav
file), and both cats (I have a mother and one of her kittens) came to
attention!!!  :)

Now, when I ran alsamixer, since I have no idea what any of those
thingys mean, I decided to run 100 on everything I could.  I ran into a
glitch with the cheap microphone when I loaded up the capture r l
thingy, so that's set really low.  The background noise is quite a lot,
as Fernando indicates in the instructions, so I will have to adjust the
settings.  Where do I go to find out more about settings with
alsamixer?  I have been to the alsamixer site, but what I need to find
out about, is what the different items are, what they do, and why I want
to set them at whatever setting.  does that make sense?  In other words,
without a starting point other than 0, it's a lot of trial and error.

Any help appreciated.
Tom