[PlanetCCRMA] Some planet-ccrma wishes for the new year

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 3 10:53:02 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:36:45 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> The low latency patch can be automatically activated by adding one line
> to /etc/sysctl.conf ("kernel.lowlatency = 1"). See the "Activating the
> low latency patch" section in the "Tuning the system" Planet CCRMA web
> page. After you do that the low latency patch should be automatically
> turned on when you reboot. To tell the truth I think at this point the
> low latency patch should default to being active on boot. Just a matter
> of historical residues that are no longer necessary (a long time ago I
> though it reasonable to start by default with the patch "off", it was
> safer - most probably that's no longer reasonable).

votes++ for having it on by default - I dont think I've seen a problem
with the Planet CCRMA kernel+ll for a long time.

> Regretfully (as you comment below Re: macros) not all programs can be
> started from menus easily as there are dependencies (ie: an app depends
> on Jack being running). Some programs are nice and have a popup screen
> that says what's wrong but others (most?) just print to standard error
> and quit, so you don't see anything when running from a menu entry.
> Andrea (Glorioso, of Agnula) had proposed a system to take care of these
> problems... amazingly I still have that email as marked "to answer" and
> never find the time to do it. Most probably feedback should be given to
> the program authors about the inadequacies of just printing something to
> the terminal and quitting :-)

*cough* yeah, I can think of an app or two thats guilty of that - but its
so prevelent, and occasionally the right thing, so maybe someone could
write a wrapper that tees stderr, and if the program quits it could
display the stderr messages in an X window then quit.

It could even have a special case flag for testing if jack is running.

- Steve