[PlanetCCRMA] added: even _more_ kernels; updated: rtload

Thu Dec 30 13:12:02 2004

Hi all, let's enter 2005 booting into yet another new kernel! (as if we
did not have enough of them :-)

I just released kernel version 2.6.9-2.3.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma, the Fedora
Core 2 version of the one that I released yesterday. Regretfully Pato
(de la Cuadra) reports that it does not solve the video binary driver
problem.

But there's more....

I also released kernel version 2.6.10-2.1.ll for Fedora Core 2 and
Fedora Core 3. This is the stock 2.6.10 kernel with the realtime linux
security module added (so that you can run Jack and his friends with
realtime priority as a non-root user).

An "apt-get update", "apt-get dist-upgrade" will automatically take you
(assuming you have the planetccrma-core-* package installed) to the
safer 2.6.10 based kernel. This is the "stable" kernel so you should not
have problems booting your machine. I would not bet on that, of course
:-) The performance of this kernel is terms of low latency is definitely
not as good as the more risky kernel based on 2.6.9-rc3-mm1 and Ingo's
patches, but it should work fine on more hardware.

For those of you that are in a position to boot into the rdt kernels
with no problems, I have created a new set of meta packages to install
it and keep it up to date when new releases land on the Planet. Just:

  apt-get install planetccrma-core-edge

You can, of course, have both planetccrma-core and planetccrma-core-edge
(and its smp versions) installed at the same time.

Another version (0.0.2) of the rtload script has been released, without
a stupid bug in the script itself :-(

BTW, the current kernel-module-alsa packages have a problem in the
postuninstall script. For some unknown reason the absolute path of
/sbin/depmod is being changed to /bin/depmod, which of course is wrong.
I have no idea why this is happenning, I swear I have /sbin/depmod in my
spec file. So you will get a script failure when you uninstall the
package. Ignore it. Will be fixed in future releases but there is no way
of retroactively fixing scripts :-)

Enjoy!
-- Fernando