[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Tue Sep 30 21:36:02 2003

ok, i still cannot figure how to get decent sound out of my computer,
but i am learning slowly. i see that when i start the qjackctl, if i
have the periods/buffer at 2 and only 2, no matter what frames/period
it is set at, it will start the alsa engine.

but it always does so with a message of:
  **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.088 (or so) seconds.
and, stupid me, i didn't even realize that that was an error message,
i just thought that was more unintelligible inter-application
communication that i didn't know the meaning of.
searching for answers, i see that this is a bad thing (but i still
can't find out what exactly it means). anyway, it means static to me,
in terms of audio.

some have suggested changing irq on the sound card part of the
mainboard (using the board's built in VIA8233 sound outputs) but
booting into its bios, i can't seem to access a menu to change the
settings, only to see them. is there a way to change them while in
linux?

secondarily, if anybody knows how to network/file exchange between
the redhat box and my other studio computers running OS X, it would
greatly help me. i enabled the SMB server within OS X and can see and
access the computer from Redhat but not any files. the RH computer
isn't seen on the network from the Macs. after all this time, you'd
think this sort of thing at least would be easier!

pardon my grumbling. studio is hot today..
Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
               4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
   jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com
    tel (510) 534 7825  cell (510) 484 7415  fax (425) 955 4495