[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with the new kernel SOLVED

Sat Sep 27 14:55:02 2003

> > > I tested mounting a fs with the --ro parameter, which I've never seen
> > > before in my life and it really worked, it really mounted the fs.
> >
> > Meaning it mounted "ro" even though it has a "-o rw" as well?
>
> I wrote that in quite a hurry. :)
>
> Yes, using the command "mount -o rw --ro" mounts a filesystem read-only,
> when I use it from a running system. From the initrd, it apparently
> mounts the fs read-write.
>
> > > Now what I can't figure out is why didn't it mount the fs read-only for me
> > > and why it mounts read-only for everyone else?
> >
> > What version of mkinitrd do you have? On RedHat 9 I get
> > mkinitrd-3.4.42-1. Version of mount? (mount-2.11y-9) I would imagine it
> > could be a problem with mkinitrd (seems to be adding a "rw" parameter to
> > the mount line) or mount (does not behave as expected - but it _does_
> > when you execute it outside of the mkinitrd script?). Very weird.
> >
> > I'll see if I can check what I have in my redhat 9 systems...
>
> I have mkinitrd-3.4.42-1.
>
> I don't think that makes any difference. I didn't build the kernel, I
> just installed the binary one with apt-get upgrade.

The initrd image in /boot is created at package install time, not at
package compile time (it makes sense, it has to be customized for the
particular drivers you may need, it looks at /etc/modules.conf for that,
I think).

> And as I said earlier, I modified the image by mounting it, making the
> changes, and umounting it. I didn't use mkinitrd for that.

My question was because maybe the mkinitrd version was wrong or
something like that, and the original initrd image was wrong.

> (If I forgot to mention it earlier, I'm running RH9.)
>
> > > But, anyways. Everything seems to be in order and I have a kick-ass
> > > kernel and ready to do some recording!
> > >
> > > Thanks for your great work on these packages Fernando!
> >
> > Sure! Glad the system is up and running...
>
> With the new kernel I can enable ACPI, and I think my problems running X
> with DRI enabled are also gone.
>
> One problem has emerged. After running apt-get update, apt-get upgrade
> reports this error:
>
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>   alsa-kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90: Depends: kernel-version (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90)
>                                      Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90-i686)
>   planetccrma-core-redhat: Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90-i686)
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>
> I guess this could have been triggered by me not running apt-get update
> before I did the dist-upgrade (I had updated a few days before that,
> though).
>
> Any idea what I should do? I don't use the 2.4.20 kernel, so I could
> just remove those packages?

Yes, just go ahead and remove all packages that have 2.4.20-20.1.caps in
the name. Strange that you have dependencies that are not met. That may
be because the install was not completely successful. When you install
kernels you should install planetccrma-core instead of doing an apt-get
dist-upgrade (if that is what you did) - apt-get can sometimes resolve
dependencies in a different way that you may want, planetccrma-core
forces the right packages to be installed.

-- Fernando