[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with the new kernel

Sampo Savolainen v2@iki.fi
Thu Sep 25 14:32:02 2003

Hello again!

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 23:25, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> I'm at a loss, I have never seen this happen. Could you send me the
> messages before it gives up? Another idea would be to try to boot single
> user (add "single" in the grub boot line). I take it older kernels boot
> fine.

Older kernels do boot fine, so no trouble there. There are no
differences between kernel options for 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi and
2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 in grub.conf.

> This is very strange, it _is_ finding "/", right? I've had problems with
> boot before but it has always been setting the wrong partition in
> /etc/fstab. Do you have multiple ide controllers? The new kernel may be
> recognizing them in different order and then the drive letters don't
> match... but that does not seem to be the problem you're having.

It is finding / correctly.

After refusing to check the partition it asks for the root password
after which I get a command prompt. From the prompt I confirmed that the
rootfs was in fact mounted read/write.

> Sorry it was not "uneventfull"

Excitement is not something I look forward to in system upgrades :)

We'll figure it out, but it is a most puzzling problem... According to
rdev, both 2.4.21 and 2.4.22 have the same hardcoded bootoptions
(ramsize, rootflags, etc..), so no obvious differences there.

Didn't the sources.list file change a while ago? I installed the sources
list in the start of August, and haven't updated it after that. Could I
have accidentally installed a 'beta' version or an inclomplete one? A
few MD5 sums:

vmlinux-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90:
   9d0c7a978d4be79e4a323c7238492e84

kernel#2.4.22-6.ll.rh90_2.4.22-6.ll.rh90_i686.rpm:
   8e9848dd64fee884b5ecb6c55a7af525

 Thanks! ..again.
  Sampo