[PlanetCCRMA] jack jack jack

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 03:30:02 2003

 --- Jonathan Segel <jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com> wrote:
> you know, i've been having alot of problems trying to set up a new
> planet-ccrma redhat system and get it to work properly, despite
> having incredibly nice and helpful people like fernando online.

<SNIP>

> potentially all of this is the computer, it's a fry's special -
> assemblage of parts to make a VIA82xx board with a 2.4ghz P4 into a
> studio computer. i'm trying to use the VIA built in sound card so
> that may be the biggest problem right there. i have an RME
> multiface and its pci card, i could try that but i am seeing that
> it could be difficult for a new user like me, from reading reports
> on other lists...

if you get sound from the VIA onboard, i'd say it should work  :)  it
sounds like you need some tuning. read on.

> second to this, trying to do hdparm won't work on this machine:
> HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
> IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
> unmaskirq = 1 (on)
> using_dma = 1 (on)
> keepsettings = 0 (off)
> readonly = 1 (on)
> readahead = 8 (on)
> HDIO_GETGEO failed:  Invalid argument
>
> also -Tt fails, read() failed: Input/output error

hmm. "readonly=1". are you sure you try to hdparm the right device?
this looks like a cdrom player or so, not a harddisk. and if you have
no cdrom in the drive, it cannot test the speed  :)

other things that come to mind:

- do you boot the Low Latency kernel?

- is the low-latency patch enabled?? (see instructions on the ccrma
webpage)

- did you look at your irq settings ??? read this webpage for very
good info on irq's and lots more:
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.htmlhttp://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

good luck, and keep us posted.
ALEX