[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl start/stop hanging on restart.

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc@rncbc.org
Thu Sep 25 03:15:02 2003

>> It has been reported that in some systems qjackctl hangs pretty badly
>> after stopping and restarting the JACK audio daemon, without quitting
>> the application.
>
> If you are talking about the situation where it then leaves 3 zombies
> behind, and they can be gotten rid of by doing a kill -9 on the first one;
> that problem seems to have gone away with the latest kernel and qjackctl
> updates.

The problem I'm talking about can be harnessed by following these three
simple steps:

1. Start JACK on qjackctl with the "Start" button.

2. Assuming it started successfully, wait a few seconds and hit "Stop"
button.

3. Now click on "Start" button again. If everything seems fine and the
qjackctl window does not seem to be frozen, you're a lucky guy: your
system does NOT expose the problem I've been talking about.

But, as you've repplied here on Planet CCRMA list, I'll assume your system
is a Red Hat Planet one. It has been noted that the situation do not
happen at all on these and on Mandrake boxes.

> I'm sorry that I can't help any more then that, as I don't have the time
> to (un)setup the system to make it break like that.  And, my technical
> abilities to track down the problem would be quite dismal.

Don't worry, my plea was that I've haven't much time either ;) but have a
strong wish in solving the problem on the offending systems, nevertheless.

> Luckily, it seems to be working nicely now, but I'll be sure to pass on
> any problems that arise.
>
> Thanks for posting this to the list.  You have writen a great GUI for
> jack, and I'd like to say thanks!

Thanks for you report, you're welcome.

Bye.
--