[PlanetCCRMA] Re: jackd (and negative ot rant... sorry all)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 08:26:22 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:12:50AM -0700, Ryan G. wrote:
> pure sine tone in zynaddsubfx can result in time out and zombification
> (reminds me of that alien sex fiend song, any other old timers
> remember?).

Yup.

> After your post Fernando, I opened two instances of amSynth and played
> around and sure enough after a minute or two the second one ends up
> zombified... I'm SURE I was able to do better than this a few weeks (or
> months) ago.  I'm on the jackd mailing list (as are you) and I read
> about a lot of api changes, I wonder if this is what's causing the
> weirdness.

I think jackd got better at spotting xruns, there was a bug a while back.
Try adding -S (or -s, I forget) for soft-mode - it doesn't disconnect
clients for minor transgressions.

The most likly culprit is zynaddsubfx, maybe its audio thread is not
relatime safe? Bob Ham reported that loads of jack clients weren't playing
by the rules. And I seem to remeber Benno sadi there ware mallocs in some
versions of zyn - thats stricly verboten.

- Steve