[PlanetCCRMA] Re: jackd (and negative ot rant... sorry all)

Ryan G. ryanpg@yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 08:14:01 2003

Yeah,

This issue is 1/3 my getting obsessive with tweaking linux, 1/3
outdated hardware (pIII 600 on an old p3b-f mobo) and 1/3 jackd or alsa
weirdness.

For example, I created a patch in zynaddsubfx about a week ago and was
playing gleefully with it for an hour or so, but NOW I can hit about 4
notes and stuff gets timed out and zombified.  At times even playing a
pure sine tone in zynaddsubfx can result in time out and zombification
(reminds me of that alien sex fiend song, any other old timers
remember?).

After your post Fernando, I opened two instances of amSynth and played
around and sure enough after a minute or two the second one ends up
zombified... I'm SURE I was able to do better than this a few weeks (or
months) ago.  I'm on the jackd mailing list (as are you) and I read
about a lot of api changes, I wonder if this is what's causing the
weirdness.

And what's all this "delay of XXXX.XXX usecs exceeds estimated spare
time of XXX.XXX..." bull, and when did the occasional (forgivable) xrun
get replaced by "subgraph starting at everyfreaking.thing timed out so
stop everything and get to know your /proc file system" crap become
more familiar to me than the motd?!?!

I'd post to jackd dev list but my attitude is piss poor, thanks for
listening though.

The truth is (and yes this IS a personal problem) I need to step away
from the effing computer for a few days/weeks.  I'm about to sink
around $1000 into a new machine so I can run free software.  I get SO
"dialed in" on "dialing in" my stupid OS that I don't make so much as a
BLIP or GLITCH in the way of music.  I think the way to resolve my jack
issues is to unplug the beige beast and start hitting the acoustic
guitar.

Anyway,
Sorry for the rant and thanks again,
-ry

--- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > > starts jack up just fine but then when I launch amSynth I get;
> > >
> > > subgraph starting at amSynth timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=15,
> status =
> > > 1092634132, state = Running)
> > > client amSynth error: awake_at = 3435091806 state = 2 timed_out =
> 0
> > >
> > > And no sound from amSynth of course.
> >
> > Strange, I just tested this (redhat 8.0, PIV 1.7G laptop, 256M ram
> -
> > vkeybd as "midi" controller) and got two amSynth instances adn one
> > Zynaddsubfx instance going. I got one of this guys:
> >
> > delay of 1020.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1014.000;
> > restart ...
>
> Eventually one of the amSynth processes got zombied...
>
> Something weird happens with jack and mozilla and _some_ web pages.
> They
> don't load while jackd is running (through jackstart with -R). Very
> weird, mozilla stops and does nothing. Stop jack and the page
> finishes
>
> -- Fernando

=====
--r--