[PlanetCCRMA] jackd

Tue Sep 23 20:18:01 2003

> Second, am I the only person noticing significant jackd performance
> loss lately?  Specifically; I used to be able to do "-p 64 -n 2" with
> few/no xruns...  But forget that now nothing will run without ending up
> zombified.
>
> So ok, "jackd -R -t 10000 -D /var/lib/jack/tmp -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 44100
> -p 128 -n 2"

I don't think you need to specify -D, the package already knows about
the proper directory.

> starts jack up just fine but then when I launch amSynth I get;
>
> subgraph starting at amSynth timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=15, status =
> 1092634132, state = Running)
> client amSynth error: awake_at = 3435091806 state = 2 timed_out = 0
>
> And no sound from amSynth of course.

Strange, I just tested this (redhat 8.0, PIV 1.7G laptop, 256M ram -
vkeybd as "midi" controller) and got two amSynth instances adn one
Zynaddsubfx instance going. I got one of this guys:

delay of 1020.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1014.000;
restart ...

But they still work after that. My CPU meter on the panel reads about
50% steady cpu load with those three synths running.

> Now even these settings are insufficient for zynaddsubfx... a few notes
> on the keyboard and;
>
> subgraph starting at qjackctl timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=18, status =
> 1092634132, state = Finished)
> client ZynAddSubFX error: awake_at = 3759635557 state = 2 timed_out =
> -1
>
> Then there's pd... I can't even start it (at any setting no matter how
> liberal) anymore, I just get screens full of;
>
> Partial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial
> readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial
> readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial
> readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial
> readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial
> readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial readPartial read
>
> Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  It seems like a few months back I
> was running just fine with few if any glitches...
>
> Btw, I've switched over to qjackctl and I'm up to the minute with the
> planet jack packages.

I don't know what might be wrong... Any other processes running? What
does a cpu meter show in terms of usage? (or go to the status tab of
qjackctl).

-- Fernando