[PlanetCCRMA] effective ardour

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 06:14:13 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:32:49PM +0300, Aaron wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to make some sence of the ardour plugins.
>
> I am not an engineer and I am confused with:
>
> 1. where in the signal chain do I add the effect.

On tracks (pre or post fader) or busses (same).

> 2. can't I add an effect to a range or object, as opposed to a channel??

You mean offline applying? I dont know.

> 3. I see aplay and arecord what are these???

Automation record and play. Allows you to record gain or plugin parameter
changes.

If you want to know how to use it you might be better asking an the
ardour-user list.

> 4. triple band eq I see load and save are these to make a preset??

Yes. I think you type a preset name in the text box and hit save. Ardour
will save the current settings in its session file though, so it just for
sharing settings between sessions or apps.

> 5. I see the effect in the route parameter window. I remeber being able
> to click on the name of the effect and have the window popup, but it
> doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

Its now ctrl+rightclick. By default plugins are bypassed.

> 6. I asked this before but is there a noise reduction plugin???

No.

> 7. Also would like a normalize plugin or someway to use the normalize
> command line app from within Ardour or ecasounds normalize.

You cant normalise in a plugin because its not a realtime effect, but you
can use a limiter or compressor to sort-of normalise the volume.

You can use the ardour fader to bring the level up or down, it shouldn't
be neccesary to normalise individual tracks.

- Steve