[PlanetCCRMA] alsa unresolved symbol PDE

Sat Sep 20 19:06:02 2003

> I've added a planet-ccrma kernel source ebuild to Gentoo's portage
> tree, and it seems to build fine (I'm running it now).

I assume you do not get unresolved symbols from the kernel itself...

> However, I can't load the alsa drivers (alsa-driver-0.9.6),

Is this stock 0.9.6 or the Planet CCRMA 0.9.6? Not that it should make a
difference.

> even though they appeared to build fine as well.  I get these errors on
> pretty much all the sound drivers:
>
> insmod foo failed
> unresolved symbol PDE

There must be some difference in the kernel configuration with what I
use, I guess.

> I saw this with several newer WOLK kernels, but googling doesn't
> seem to turn up much (and I've been running wolk-4.3s with no
> problems).
>
> It may be that I'm missing something, since my ebuild grabs the
> kernel-source-rpm and coverts it to tar.gz, then installs the kernel
> source tree.  I guess the acpi headers are added during the rpm
> install, since they came up missing (so I add them back to the
> source tree in the ebuild from a separate tarball).

I don't know why the acpi headers are missing, probably a problem in my
build.

I guess the proper way would be to grab the kernel source rpm (.src.rpm,
not kernel-source-xxx.i386.rpm), install it (but you need a redhat
system for that, I guess) and execute an "rpmbuild -bp kernel-xxx.spec
which will leave a patched and ready to build (sort of) kernel tree in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-*. Configuration files will be in the
configs directory. That could be tarred, I guess.

-- Fernando