[PlanetCCRMA] a call goes out across the planet... Help me mount a cd!

Sat Sep 20 11:50:02 2003

> Actually the very simple solution (discovered after you put me on the
> right track kevin) is to mount a cdrom and then run updfstab.  Don't
> ask my why this works but it does, updfstab added the *exact same line*
> as I had to my /etc/fstab but somehow now when I; mount /dev/cdrom the
> cdrom *shudder to think* MOUNTS!  Something to do with hotplug I'm
> guessing.

I think it has to do with kudzu (the hardware "discovery" tool that
redhat uses). It also "manages" fstab entries for removable devices and
the link in /dev from cdrom to whatever is the device you have (thefstab
entries are marked with the "kudzu" option if they were installed by
kudzu).

Some time ago the same thing happened to me. I think at that point I
found that /etc/sysconfig/hwconf holds the data for the hardware and
there was a "hdc" there instead of "scd0", I think changing that solved
the problem for me. But at some other point, without me doing anything,
kudzu just erased the fstab entry... So much fun! :-)

-- Fernando