New kernels (Re: [PlanetCCRMA] updated: gmorgan, alsa-patch-bay

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Fri Sep 19 00:29:01 2003

On Fri, 18 Sep 2003, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> A couple of updates...
> * updated Gmorgan to version 0.16-1
> * updated AlsaPatchBay to version 0.5.2-1
>
> More details in the ChangeLog
> Enjoy!
> -- Fernando
>
> PS: anyone out there has tried the new kernels in planetedge?

Yes, me. I hoped that the new 4.22-ll kernel should solve
the problems with my nforce2 machine. Unfortunately not.
It crashes as soon as there comes a bit pressure on either
cpu or harddisk, just as the 4.21-ll kernel. But I got some amazing
results as long as it ran though. I managed to run jack with a period
size of 64 and a quite large ardour-project, without any x-runs.
Well, perhaps the first x-run was the thing that made the
machine crash (about 30 seconds).

However, the new 4.20 redhat-caps kernel works fine. And
the original redhat 8 kernel does not (4.18). Do you
have any idea what makes the redhat kernel works? Could
it be theire reduced low-latency patch?