[PlanetCCRMA] ALSA

Florin Andrei planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Sep 5 09:41:51 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 11:38, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > What is the difference between the ALSA packages offered by PlanetCCRMA
> > and other packages (say, Freshrpms)? Any supplemental patches?
>
> I can only speak of my packages. They are based on CVS instead of the
> normal "stable" alsa release cycle. Currently the packages in Freshrpms
> are newer

Yeah, that's why i was asking. I need some features in the latest ALSA,
that's why i have to stick with the Freshrpms packages for the moment.

> (I'm in the process of creating new ones along with a newer
> kernel). I also include the alsa jack plugin in the build process, I
> think Freshrpms does not do that as they don't host Jack.

Hmmm... Let me see if i can convince Matthias to include the plugin in
his release. ;-)

> I would have
> to check the Freshrpms packages to be able to answer in more detail. I
> do have a slightly tweaked alsasound startup script that makes sure the
> sequencer kernel module is loaded.

Yeah, i also think there's room for improvement in the Freshrpms ALSA
startup scripts.

> > Is it possible to use the Freshrpms ALSA packages with a PlanetCCRMA
> > kernel and JACK?
>
> Yes and no. To be safe you would have to rebuild the alsa driver source
> rpm to create a matching alsa-kernel package for the Planet CCRMA
> kernel.

Right. I was only thinking of the supplemental stuff, if any.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/