[PlanetCCRMA] Odd error in pilot-xfer

Mon Sep 1 11:59:01 2003

> A while after starting to use the PlanetCCRMA stuff over RH 9, jpilot
> stopped being able to sync my palm pilot.
>
> strace pilot-xfer  -p /dev/ttyS0 -l gives:
>
> [...]
> open("/dev/null", O_RDWR)               = 3
> open("/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)   = 4
> ioctl(4, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE, 0xbffff310) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
> close(4)                                = 0
> [MUNCH]
>
> Looking at the pilot-xfer srouce, it's Really Unclear to me that this
> is actually the right IOCTL -- I do recall some beeps when it used to
> work, but there's nothing in the source of pilot-xfer about "sound",
> and the ioctls it seems to want to do after opening the serial device
> are, well, serial device related stuff, not sounds.

Does this happen with the original redhat kernel? Strange, as far as I
can tell (from the kernel sources) SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE is an OSS ioctl
(and /dev/ttyS0 is not a sound device... weird...). Maybe the pilot
software is trying to make a "beep" or something like that and is
pointing to the wrong device?

-- Fernando