[PlanetCCRMA] alsa-kernel on a VIA C3 Centaur

Tue Oct 28 12:41:02 2003

> > packages when their available.  The newer kernels boot up, but anything that
> > touches code in the alsa-kernel modules gets a segfault or SIGILL (illegal
> > instruction) indicating that there are CMOV instructions in the compiled code.
> > This can be confirmed with objdump -d.  For example on the new RH9 alsa-kernel
> > (I upgraded hoping the problem would be fixed):
> >
> >  [root@blumlein sound]# cd /lib/modules/2.4.22-6.ll.rh90/kernel/sound/
> >  [root@blumlein sound]# objdump -d snd-ice1712.o |grep cmov
> >      482:       0f 44 f8                cmove  %eax,%edi
> >      a5d:       0f 45 44 24 04          cmovne 0x4(%esp,1),%eax
> >      a6d:       0f 45 44 24 04          cmovne 0x4(%esp,1),%eax
> >      a98:       0f 43 e8                cmovae %eax,%ebp
> >      ba6:       0f 45 44 24 10          cmovne 0x10(%esp,1),%eax
> >      bb6:       0f 45 44 24 10          cmovne 0x10(%esp,1),%eax
> >      bdb:       0f 43 e8                cmovae %eax,%ebp
> >      ebf:       0f 44 c2                cmove  %edx,%eax
> >      f52:       0f 44 c2                cmove  %edx,%eax
> >   (lots more ....)
>
> Thanks for the detailed report. I'll check asap to see what can be done
> so that alsa compiles for the right architecture.

I found a way to convince the alsa driver configure script to select the
right architecture and smp'ness (I checked and there are no more cmove*
instructions in the resulting kernel modules). I'm building cvs 0.9.8
packages now and will put them shortly in the planetedge repository for
now (pending an "official" upgrade).

-- Fernando