[PlanetCCRMA] NVIDIA graphics drivers

Sun Nov 30 11:58:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 18:20, jfm3@ouroboros-complex.org wrote:
> I am hopeful low latency things would work better on my machine if I could
> get the NVIDIA graphics drivers to work. I couldn't get this to work with
> RH9, despite repeated kernel molestations. I just stuck with my laptop,
> which didn't need the NVIDIA driver, and everything was fine.
>
> Everything is still fine. However, I spent today putting up Fedora Core 1
> on my desktop machine. The CCRMA stuff went in fine, although I am
> disappointed that video apps seem missing.

They are missing for now (not enough time to tackle everything at once).
What is it you most miss? I have to start somewhere, it may as well be
something that users need.

> I went to put in the NVIDIA
> kernel drivers. I used IGNORE_CC whatever and the "make install" for
> NVIDIA's stuff went fine. The redhat/caps kernel I'm running seems to
> already have the NVIDIA agpgart patch applied, although I didn't check
> exhaustively. I loaded up the modules and restarted X. The machine
> crashed. If I hit ALT-Fn keys, the screen gets text garbage on it. There
> is *nothing* interesting in the XFree86 or messages log. Wow this is
> frusterating.

There was a thread not long ago about this:
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2003-November/003405.html
Apparently the drivers were successfully installed. You should compile
them with gcc32 (that is the compiler that was used to build the
kernels.

> Anyone have an NForce 2 motherboard with CCRMA? Does it work well? Have
> you run latencytest? Did you do something I missed?

-- Fernando