[PlanetCCRMA] arts on start stops

Ryan ruinaudio@comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 16:31:02 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 18:18, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I am running fedora on a pentium III dual 500 mhz motherboard.
> > I have a soundblaster live soundcard as well.
>
> That sounds more than fast enough for "normal" audio work. What does
> "top" show in terms of cpu usage when you start jack? Can you see who is
> slowing things down? Are you using the default period size in jack?
> (1024)
>
> I assume you start jack with something like:
>   jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw
> Is it different if you start jack without realtime privileges?
>   jackstart -d alsa -d hw

For what it's worth, (I haven't done any research on this yet) when
running ardour with SOME sessions from a few weeks ago (don't know what
distinguishes them from others) stopping ardor's transport results in
jackd's cpu usage climbing to about 90% (I've got a p4 2.3ghz laptop)
then jackd shuts down ardour.  CPU is about what I'd expect when the
transport is running (~0.3%).

This issue just popped up recently but since I'm running a mixture of
planet and CVS stuff it may not be related to the original posters
quandary... just a thought.

-ry