[PlanetCCRMA] basic rescue help

Jose Francisco Neto xyko@ipiranga.com.br
Wed Nov 26 02:10:01 2003

Hi Odeb and Fernando,

I faced a problem similar to that some time ago.
If for any reason your hda4 was formely defined as ext3 and your machine
crashed, after a fsck you may loose the journal of the partition. If it's the
case, change your fstab entry to ext2 and your system will start ok.

I hope it helps. Send us some good news.

Best regards,

José Francisco Ribeiro Neto
Assessor de Recursos Computacionais
Tel.: (21) 2574-5394
Cel.: (21) 9964-5059

|+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------|
||   Fernando Pablo             |                                              |
||   Lopez-Lezcano              |           Para:        Oded Ben-Tal          |
||   <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> |   <oded@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>                  |
||                              |           cc:                                |
||   25/11/2003 18:33           |   planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU, (cco: Jose |
||                              |   Francisco Neto/CBPI)                       |
||                              |           Assunto:        Re: [PlanetCCRMA]  |
||                              |   basic rescue help                          |
|+------------------------------+----------------------------------------------|

> I get a "bad superblock" error when trying to boot.
> I'm using knoppix to try and fix it but it does look like
> my linux partition is actually ok:
>
> root@ttyp0[Backup]# e2fsck -f /dev/hda4
> e2fsck 1.33 (21-Apr-2003)
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> /: 133644/1200576 files (0.8% non-contiguous), 1261759/2398410 blocks

You are right, that seems to be fine.

> (hda4 is the only linux partition the pather are linux swap, vfat, and
> ntfs)

What is the content of your /etc/fstab? There could be a mismatch there,
I guess. Does the system start to boot? At what point do you get the
error?

> The only thing I noticed was when listing the partition (fdisk -l)
> the linux one isn't bootable. Can that be the problem? if so how do I fix
> that?

I don't think that should make a difference. It can be changed by fdisk,
I can't remember now the command.