[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel barf during modprobe/alsaconf/SBLive

Mon Nov 17 15:36:02 2003

> Alsaconf picks up the card ok, thn goes to configure it and the kernel
> throws this error.
>
> The snd-emu10k1 and snd-timer drivers are left in 'initializing' state,
> and as I'm fairly new to linux and rmmod fails (in use), I don't know
> how to 'workaround' this without reboot.

That is a "kernel panic", something really wrong happened during the
module load and the kernel prints some debugging info and basically
quits. The module cannot be removed without a reboot.

A bit more information about the crash can be found (only usable for
alsa gurus, I guess) if you pipe that information through the ksymoops
program, the output should include some symbol information (ie: not just
numbers).

> This is a fresh system, only one sound card, one network card. Whether
> low latency is enabled in the kernel or not seems to have no effect
> whatsoever.
>
> Any assistance *GREATLY* appreciated.

What version of alsa and of the kernel?
Did you try with the redhat capabilities enabled kernel as well?
-- Fernando