[PlanetCCRMA] connection questions

Fri Nov 14 17:55:03 2003

> it seems that a few applications in my ccrma collection don't like
> the alsa/jack connection. is there any way to make these things have
> their input and output so i can hear it? one is audacity, on launch
> it says error initializing audio i/o layer, and has no i/o
> thereafter.

The current version of audacity is OSS only (no alsa or jack support).
It will (should?) run if you have the OSS compatibility modules loaded,
which should happen automatically if you configured correctly
/etc/modules.conf.

> also ceres3, wants to go through snd i guess, but if i
> launch snd nothing happens at all..

ceres3 uses a helper application (sndplay) to play sound. Do you have it
installed? (/usr/bin/sndplay). If not, simply do an "apt-get install
snd-utils".

> anyway i'm having a hard time monitoring what i'm doing in ceres3!
>
> also, i'm working with .aif files and while rezound claims that it
> wants to open any type of file, it doesn't see them when steered to
> .aif files. if i type in the filepath/name, it just beeps at me.

Maybe the new version (due shortly) fixes this. I have not tried aiff
files under rezound.

-- Fernando