[PlanetCCRMA] Almost Perfect System

Sun Nov 9 16:21:01 2003

> 1> When booting with the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel I cannot get my
> cdrom to mount, whereby I have no such problem with the RH9 2.4.20-8
> kernel, where cd's will automount.
> The drive is recognized>
> >>hdc: SONY CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX810E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>
> Planet does this>
> >>hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
> >>scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> >>  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX810E    Rev: 1.5a
> >>  Type:   CD-ROM               ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> Whereas RH9 does this>
> >>SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> >>scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> >>  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX810E    Rev: 1.5a
> >>  Type:   CD-ROM         ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Is this a Sony laptop? With a memory stick slot? If so, then that is the
difference. The cdrom under Planet is scsi1, under RH9 (kernel) is
scsi0. Most probably under the Planet kernel scsi0 is the memory stick.
As the cdrom fstab and /dev entries were created while booting into a
redhat kernel they do not match. Tell us where /dev/cdrom is pointing,
and what do you have in /etc/fstab.

> 2> When booting with the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel, 5 out of 10
> times the boot freezes at>
>
> >>Initializing firewire controller (ohci1394)

I see the same problem. I don't know exactly what it is. My laptop is
still offline (dead) so I cannot test at this moment. You can disable
the automatic load by commenting out the 1394 entry in /etc/modules.conf
(and doing "/sbin/depmod -a").

> whereby with the RH9 2.4.20-8 kernel it does not freeze (but it does not
> let me use a firewire hd either). I'd like to boot without it freezing
> and worry about the firewire later.
>
> 3> When I do a shutdown from the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel, 100% of
> the time, the computer freezes at>
> >>Stopping pcmcia : unloading kernel Card Services
> This is real annoying and I have no idea why this happens or what it
> means.

I don't know about this one. Are you using PCMCIA cards? If not you
could disable the PCMCIA scripts with /sbin/chkconfig.

-- Fernando