[PlanetCCRMA] Almost Perfect System

Brad Kligerman bkliger@club-internet.fr
Sun Nov 9 15:21:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 00:08, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> > 1> When booting with the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel I cannot get my
> > cdrom to mount, whereby I have no such problem with the RH9 2.4.20-8
> > kernel, where cd's will automount.
>
> > 2> When booting with the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel, 5 out of 10
> > times the boot freezes at>

> > whereby with the RH9 2.4.20-8 kernel it does not freeze (but it does not
> > let me use a firewire hd either). I'd like to boot without it freezing
> > and worry about the firewire later.
>
> I had problems similar though not identical to the 2 above. With the CD
> problem it seems that /etc/fstab was updated wrongly at boot (adding and
> removing hardware) - some lines got duplicated. take a look if there is
> something strange.

Oded/

I really can't tell, but this fstab doesn't seem too strange.
$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot     /boot           ext3    defaults        1 2
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda5       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
none            /var/lib/jack/tmp  tmpfs   defaults         0 0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom       udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

The thing that seems a bit strange is>
#ls -al /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root 8 Nov 10 00:06 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

What does this mean?

> My Linux got stuck on usb-ohci initialization line. the bad news is that I
> wasn't able to locate the problem, the good news (sort of) is that it went
> away. At least I haven't had a problem in the last month or so.
I'm glad your ohci problem disappeared, maybe I'll be so lucky, but then
again, I work with video and I have a firewire hd I need to work with,
so I'd like to get this worked out.

The reason that I brought all of this up together is that I'd like to
figure out if the problems are at all related.

> If you do find what the problem is let me know.
> BTW which computer are you using?
I'm using a recent Sony Vaio portable with a CD-RW drive.

/brad.