[PlanetCCRMA] supercollider 3

Ryan ruinaudio@comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 07:53:01 2003

Grr...

As a fan of supercollider, I get excited when I read anything about the
linux port.  Sadly, it seems to me sc3's time is not now.

I'm not going to be able to learn emacs anytime soon and besides emacs
provides zero graphic functionality.  And unfortunately scfront seems to
do nothing but start sclang.  Has anyone been able to use scfront to
make sound yet?

I used to pester James McCartney the author back in the os9 days and I
followed the early phases of sc3 development.  It seems/ed to me that
linux support was an afterthought proposed by sc3 enthusiasts but never
really even endorsed by James.  I'm not sure why platform specific
graphic/front-ends were chosen on an OSS project when things like
wxPython are out there and stable, but oh well the developers know what
they're doing (plus James works for apple).

I think I'm going to have to give up the dream of sc3/linux if/until
someone puts together a decent front-end.

Maybe this is an opportunity for me to learn python, wxPython, sc3
internals, osc, and then write a SC3 front-end myself (yeah right).

Sorry to vent, I'm just disappointed.  On the other hand soon I'm going
to upgrade my pismo's processor and then I'll be SC3'ing my ass off!

-ry