[PlanetCCRMA] dist-upgrade

Mon Nov 3 12:30:02 2003

> > I have no idea why kernel#2.4.20-13.8 got selected...
> >
> > I did not want to do this but apparently I will have to add
> > planetccrma-midishare to the dependencies of the planetccrma-core
> > package so the right one gets selected and installed (as is the case
> > with alsa).
>
> I tried getting MidiShare with synaptic and it tried to do the same thing.
>
> So I downloaded the midishare drivers and midishare from the Planet and manually
> installed both of the i686 drivers(for the caps and LL kernels).  Then I installed
> midishare(all using RPM from the comand line).
>
> After that synaptic was able to pull in and install everything else.
>
> It seemed that cheesetracker wanted to pull in midishare, which then selected the
> wrong driver, and then the wrong kernel( I think it was the caps one for me).

No, it was fluidsynth which now has a dependency to midishare (because
it is linked with the midishare library).

> I hope that you can fix it in a reasonable way.  Things messing with trying to
> install a new kernel, or try to install the wrong kernel-drivers could make
> things hard for anyone following the web site's directions.

Yes, I agree. Apt for rpm is not really made for this, I had to work
around some of its limitations.

I think I just fixed this in "a reasonable way". I have just released
new versions of the planetccrma-core* packages with an added dependency
to the midishare-kernel* packages. I hope this will fix things. If
somebody has installed a planetcore* package the "right" midishare
kernel module package will get pulled in, any update that downloads
fluidsynth will require midishare itself. Most probably the
planetccrma-midishare packages I built on Friday are obsoleted by all
this but it is not worth (yet) deprecating them.

-- Fernando