[PlanetCCRMA] A few Hydrogen misfires

Wed May 28 17:02:01 2003

> Hydrogen wouldn't start, and just sat there on the splash screen until I
> manually killed it.  I ended up editing the config file in my home
> directory to get it to work.  This consisted of:
>
>    <restoreLastSong>true</restoreLastSong>  changed to false
>
> and I also changed
>
>    <audio_driver>Oss</audio_driver> to Jack

This is the one that makes the difference. Hydrogen uses by default OSS
and there is no command line option to force it to use Jack. So if jack
is running Hydrogen tries to open /dev/dsp and waits forever for it to
become free (jack is using alsa exclusively, any other app will not be
able to use the audio devices).

> Everything seemed to be working fine until I decided to bring up "Jack
> Patch Bay".
>
> The one little problem I still have is that if Jack Patch Bay is running
> before starting hydrogen,  hydrogen likes to give this error:
>
>    Jack Driver cannot connect output port alsa-pcm:playback_2
>
> and shuts down sound output.
>
> This can be gotten around by by restarting hydrogen or starting hydrogen
> before the patch bay.

I just tried this (under 9) and it seems to work fine... oh well... one
more mistery to add to the collection.

-- Fernando