[PlanetCCRMA] MIDI + guitar picker = confused

Doug James dcjames@comcast.net
Wed May 14 20:16:01 2003

The more I read, the more confused I get...

Here's the scoop. My system has two sound cards: one based on a via 8233
(AC '97), the other an M-Audio Delta 66, with an Omni I/O breakout box.

Both sound cards are working just fine, as far as I can tell. The delta
66 + Omni I/O does a dandy job of recording guitar and vocals, and the
via chipset seems to work just fine.

I've also got a current install of PlanetCCRMA under linux that seems to
be working well.

Then I had to make things complicated...

My daughter has a MIDI capable keyboard ( Casio ctk-411), and the AC '97
has a joystick/midi port. I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if we could add
some midi tracks to the things I've been plinking on?"

So I got the cables to hook the keyboard to the computer, fired up
rosegarden, and set off in search of the documentation to enlighten me
on the process of using MIDI in my music.

The more I read, the more confused I get.... apparently I've entered a
premature senility, and suddenly become a drooling imbecile.

Questions:
1) Can I set things up so that I can use both sound cards at the same
time? (I'll need the midi port on the via 8233)
2) How do I set rosegarden ( or any software) up to use the keyboard via
the midi port?

--Doug--