[PlanetCCRMA] planet ccrma for RedHat 9

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu May 8 15:29:01 2003

> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:04:26 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    I now get >2000 FPS running glxgears on my Radeon 9000. Not bad
> > for a $69 card with no fan...
>
> Yeah, the no fan thing is good. I was... anoyed... when I found out that a
> lot of current video cards have fans.
>
> - Steve

Me too Steve. This one was discovered by a Pro Tools friend of mine. It
works really well under windows, and works OK under Linux with only one
problem in 24-bit modes which isn't at all important for audio work. No fan
is a must for me anymore. I have 6 PC's here in my lab at work. A different
fan has gone bad on every one of them in the last year. Either the CPU,
chipset, VGA or power supply. And even if they don't go bad, they get noisy
over time. Having no fan solves that problem. My new MB (Asus A7V333-X has
no MB fan, so I have a variable speed fan on the CPU and in the power
supply. They're both turned down as low as they can go. The Athlon XP 2600+
seems quite happy. The machine is pretty quiet.

Mark