[PlanetCCRMA] planet ccrma for RedHat 9

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu May 8 14:05:02 2003

> > rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-8
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         kernel-drm = 4.3.0 is needed by (installed) XFree86-4.3.0-2
> >
> > That shouldn't be a problem but Xfree doesn't seem to be
> working properly, and
> > I believe that its because of that. I tried reinstalling
> XFree86 but didn't
> > work, maybe I should recompile XFree from the src.rpm? any ideas?
>
> Hmmm, no, I should probably tweak the kernel so that it offers the 4.3.0
> drm interface (I don't know what is involved, maybe it is very simple).
> Another day, another kernel :-) 2.4.21-rc1 is out anyway, time to
> update. I tried building it yesterday but there are a couple of
> unresolved symbols, I have to find patches for that.
>
> Thanks for the bug report!
> -- Fernando

Fernando,
   I had a problem like with Redhat a while ago, and got a pretty terse
note from Mike Harris, RH's XF86 guy, saying our 2.4.20 kernel was too
old.

Gentoo and ran into the same problem. Their solution, which does work,
looks like this:

1) Rebuild the kernel with AGPGART as module as well as the radeon driver
as a module (or not at all as will be using drm radeon module)
2) add 'radeon' to you USE flags in /etc/make.conf
3) emerge xfree-drm
4) edit XF86config to enable GLX and DRI, and change the Modes entry
5) reboot and all should work.

   This is now working on my Gentoo setup. I have not tried it under
Redhat as of yet, but other than how you do steps 2 & 3 I see nothing
distro specific.

   I now get >2000 FPS running glxgears on my Radeon 9000. Not bad
for a $69 card with no fan...

Cheers,
Mark