[PlanetCCRMA] jack, alsa, rh9 repository

Tue May 6 09:55:02 2003

[sorry for the delay in answering, I was away on vacation]

> I just upgraded by box to RH9, put the rh9 planet repositories in my
> sources.list, and started upgrading packages... started with kernel and alsa,
> seemed to go fine (alsa is working), then installed jack, jack-rack and
> associated utils. I can start jackd fine (with 'jackd -d alsa -d emu10k1')
> but when I try to launch either jack-rack or kaconnect, I get:
> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:446:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file
> or directory
>
> And they are correct, the device /dev/snd/seq doesn't exist, though I have no
> recollection of whether it did before.
>
> I'm confused... any ideas what happened?

The sequencer alsa kernel module is not loaded. The newest version of
the alsa driver packages have a fix for this in the alsasound startup
script. You can also load the module explicitly to verify this is the
problem:

  /usr/sbin/modprobe snd-seq

-- Fernando