[PlanetCCRMA] RH 8.0 Upgrade

Sun Jan 5 19:04:01 2003

> I updated the sources.conf and apt.conf.  And as you said there were the
> following dependency messages:
>
> WARNING: 'gamix' has 2 packages with same version but different
> dependencies. That usually means a packaging bug.
> WARNING: 'iemlib' has 2 packages...(same)
> WARNING: 'gltt' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'libogg' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'snd-guile' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'ggee' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'snd-motif' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'curl' has 2 packages...
> WARNING: 'snd-utils' has 2 packages...
>
> ... so, I try to remove some of them and get, for example...
>
> [root@tauzin apt]# rpm -e gamix
> error: package gamix is not installed

This is strange...

> [root@tauzin apt]# rpm -e gltt
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libgltt.so.0 is needed by (installed) gem-0.87-1

In this case something else needs gltt. So you will need to
(temporarily) ignore the dependencies - unless the dependency is also
gltt-devel (ie: essentially another part of the same package), in which
case you have to erase _both_ packages. First erase what you have:

  rpm -e --nodeps gltt
(or rpm -e --nodeps gtll gtll-devel if you also have the devel pacakge)

Then install the newer one:

  apt-get install gltt

Same for other packages that have dependencies, use --nodeps to
(briefly) ignore them and apt-get install to install the new one. Gary
did this when he transitioned from 7.2 to 7.3, I think that's how we
fixed things.

Hmmm, if rpm -e erases the package but apt refuses to install the new
one (because the state of the database is still inconsistent) you will
probably have to download the rpm and install it manually with rpm -Uvh.
I have to write a section on the planet ccrma pages about upgrading...
-- Fernando