[PlanetCCRMA] no alsasound script loaded on driver install

Tue Feb 25 09:02:02 2003

> i am now running the 2.4.19-1.ll@i686 kernel with no detected
> problems so far.  however, when i run the alsaconf script, i get an
> error which i've traced to be refering to the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound  script.

If this happens during the first run of alsaconf it could be normal as
you probably will have the oss modules loaded and then alsa cannot get
started (because the oss driver "owns" the card). A reboot should cure
the problem (or unloading the oss drivers, of course).

> >did you try 'updatedb'
> >then 'locate alsasound'
>
> i got it....i had attained the source for the driver, and unpacked
> everything lastnight, i was going to do a fresh install, but having seen
> your note, i did "updatedb" and then "locate alsasound" and found it in the
> source tree for the driver.  copying it over seems to have worked.  thanks
> alot!!!  this still doesn't explain why it was not installed in the
> firstplace, but, i guess the solution is to grab the source and copy it
> out...it does make me wonder about the stability of the rest of the install,
> however....we shall see.

The alsasound driver startup script is part of the alsa-driver rpm.
First check to see that you have it installed by typing:

  rpm -q alsa-driver
It should answer (for the current version):
  alsa-driver-0.9.0-45
It should be there as it is required by alsa-lib (which should also be
installed). If it is there you could see if the script is in the
original rpm:
  rpm -q -l alsa-driver | grep alsasound
It should answer:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound

> on a side note, i see that in my modules.conf file there are several drivers
> ending with "oss" suffix, all of them beginning with "snd" prefix.  am i
> right in that these are simply for compatibility for oss apps with the alsa
> driver, and that all alsa drivers begin with the 'snd' prefix??

That's correct (they start with "snd-"). Those are the oss emulation
modules.

-- Fernando