[PlanetCCRMA] jack problems

jfm3 jfm3@ouroboros-complex.org
Fri Feb 21 21:33:01 2003

A mighty productive evening of "music on the TM5800", but I still can't
get jack working properly.

bash> jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw
jackd 0.51.0
Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw|1024|2|48000|swmon|rt
starting engine

now, in another window;
bash> freqtweak
engine has shut down socket; thread exiting
Jack shut us down!

and jack says,
got connect request
subgraph starting at freqtweak_1 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=13, status
= 1075766430, state = Running)

at this point if I run freqtweak again, it will connect and run for a
few seconds and then my system will lock up, no audio, no response from
keyboard, although the sysrq magic still works.

bash> cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.ali5451 {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.ali5451 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ALSA is CVS 2003-02-18.141220. I'm not sure what that last number means,
but Fernando probably didn't put it there for nothing.

The inimitable pbd mentioned that ALSA had some gunk in it that would
make it behave differently if it thought JACK was being used. I can't
find this by greping for jack in the ALSA source.

Of course, this is on my Crusoe system, and the interrupts are all done
in software, and this could be some bizarre side effect of
Linus-knows-what. Oh well. Thought I'd share.

--
(jfm3  2838 BCBA 93BA 3058 ED95  A42C 37DB 66D1 B43C 9FD0)