[PlanetCCRMA] A daily snapshot list of current packages

Fri Feb 21 15:00:03 2003

> Would it be possible to have a daily list of all the current packages,
> as simple in principle as #ls *.rpm > current_packages.`date +%Y%m%d`,
> that we could wget so that we could script apt upgrades to include packages
> not already installed?

That would be easy to do but I'm not sure if it will work the way you
expect it to. There are some rpms that will conflict in such a list (ie:
you cannot install both at the same time), and a few depend on binary
packages I cannot distribute (you have build them yourself). So it would
need exceptions to be useful.

I have been thinking on starting to script the install and a list of
packages would be a good start. The problem is that what is important
for one user would be useless for another. Any choice I make (short of
installing everything that can be installed) would be subjective. I
could automatically generate a list from my main documentation source
and that is what I have been thinking on doing. I could even group
installs according to function but that is difficult to do as many
packages fall into many taxonomic categories.

Something like this is obviosuly needed...
-- Fernando