[PlanetCCRMA] re kernel 2.4.19

des1gner@optusnet.com.au des1gner@optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 6 16:21:02 2003

>  > when attempting to follow the instructions on the planet-ccrma
>>  webpages I am finding I am at an impasse.
>>  I am at the kernel stage, and am getting errors while trying to
>>  apt-get install kernel*
>>
>>  I have tried:
>>  "apt-get install kernel-up#2.4.19-1.ll@i386 alsa-driver-2.4.19-1.ll
>>  alsa-driver alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel alsa-utils alsa-tools"
>>
>>  and
>>
>  > "apt-get install kernel-up#2.4.19-2.ll.acpi@i686
>>  alsa-driver-2.4.19-2.ll.acpi alsa-driver alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel
>>  alsa-utils alsa-tools"
>>
>>  both fail with "couldn't find package kernel-up#2.4.19-[version]@i[x]86"
>>
>>  have I perhaps erred in configuring my apt?
>
>Maybe. Check that you have the proper /etc/apt/sources.list for the
>kernel you want to install (you should use the i686 acpi version of the
>kernel).

shouldnt I use 386.acpi with a Pentium2/266?

>  To be able to "see" the acpi kernel you specifically need this
>line in the sources.list configuration file:
>
>rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/7.x.lap/en/i386
>planetccrma

that sure is in there.

>You could also check what you see with:
>   apt-get install kernel-up
>That should give you a list of available kernels (for your particular
>sources.list configuration)

this returns:
(reading,collecting,building...)
Package kernel-up is a virtual package provided by:
    kernel-up#2.4.19-2.ll.acpi@i386 2.4.19-2.11.acpi
    kernel-up#2.4.19-2.ll.acpi@i386 2.4.19-2.11.acpi
You should explicitly select one to install.
E:  Package kernel-up has not installation candidate.

I try the apt-get install kernel-up#2.4.19-1.ll.acpi@i386
alsa-driver-2.4.19-1.ll.acpi alsa-driver alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel
alsa-utils alsa-tools, and now its working....I think what I copied
from the html docs was incorrect or I misunderstood something.  It
seems to be going now....

>>  Is this because I already have Alsa installed (rc6)?
>
>No, that should be unrelated (did you install by hand or through an
>rpm?).

I did it from source.

Thank you Fernando.