[PlanetCCRMA] Odd error in pilot-xfer

Greg Lindahl lindahl@keyresearch.com
Sat Aug 30 18:41:03 2003

A while after starting to use the PlanetCCRMA stuff over RH 9, jpilot
stopped being able to sync my palm pilot.

strace pilot-xfer  -p /dev/ttyS0 -l gives:

[...]
open("/dev/null", O_RDWR)               = 3
open("/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)   = 4
ioctl(4, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE, 0xbffff310) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
close(4)                                = 0
write(2, "\n", 1)                       = 1
write(2, "   ERROR: Invalid argument\n", 27   ERROR: Invalid argument
) = 27
write(2, "   Unable to bind to port \'/dev/"..., 39   Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttyS0'
) = 39
write(2, "   Please use --help for more in"..., 43   Please use --help for more information
) = 43
ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP, {B0 -opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
close(3)                                = 0
exit_group(1)                           = ?

Looking at the pilot-xfer srouce, it's Really Unclear to me that this
is actually the right IOCTL -- I do recall some beeps when it used to
work, but there's nothing in the source of pilot-xfer about "sound",
and the ioctls it seems to want to do after opening the serial device
are, well, serial device related stuff, not sounds.

I even rebuilt the pilot-xfer package, with no change in behavior.

Any clues as to what's wrong?

-- greg