[PlanetCCRMA] Fighting with Cinelerra

Sat Aug 30 12:04:01 2003

> I try to run cinelerra 1.1.7 on my Duron system (RedHat 9) and it is
> not working well.  My sound card is a SB Audigy (emu10k1 ALSA driver).
> I did a strace on cinelerra.  What I do is I load a file containg 2
> audio tracks, no video, then I move the cursor at the beginning and
> press the start button.  The cursor moves but I hear no sound and from
> that point on, I can not stop it.

Other Planet CCRMA users have seen the same problem. I readded the
previous version (which apparently does not have this problem) to the
repository. You will not be able to install through apt because a newer
version is there already, but you can manually download it, erase the
current cinelerra (rpm -e cinelerra) and add the old one with rpm -Uvh.

There is a forum for cinelerra users:
  http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=13554
But I did not see a reference (did not look much) for this problem. It
could be that this only happens if you use OSS emulation under alsa and
maybe most Cinelerra users still use plain OSS.

Anyway, I found an unofficial cvs repository with fixes which may be an
option I could explore. Building Cinelerra (the first time) was quite
painful and it seems the unofficial cvs version has better build
support. For more information see:
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/~herman/cinelerra/

-- Fernando