[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl when minimized

Fri Aug 29 09:33:01 2003

> > I'm using gnome, and all my other windows have minimise, so I've no idea.
> > Maybe its hinted as a dialogue or something.
>
> Interesting. How do you find Gnome for doing audio/realtime stuff? Have you
> had to customize it much to get it to work well?

One little point I have been meaning to make for a while. Most probably
the problems with latency that users were having with gnome and jack
(and maybe also kde) was caused by the "/tmp" jack bug/feature. Gnome
apps communicate through something in /tmp and so anything writing there
had the potential of messing up the inner workings of jack (because
jack's inter-process communication used pipes in /tmp by default).

With the latest Planet CCRMA rpms the Jack IPC pipes are in RAM (tmpfs)
so that anything happening in /tmp will not affect it.

-- Fernando