[PlanetCCRMA] Word of warning re upgrading to RH9

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 00:33:26 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 06:19:12 -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:40, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I just upgraded my studio machine from RH8 to 9. It was painful :(
>
> Ouch.  I've only done clean installs.  Much easier.  Especially if you
> keep /home and /usr/local on seperate partitions.  Then it's easy to do
> clean installs while preserving your crucial stuff.

/home comes off a NFS server, but /usr/local/ doesn't, I didn't realy
fancy a rebuild, and I think this was still quicker, it was just a bit
more work.

Anyway, I can confirm that RH9 is certainly no worse for latency
than RH8, I was able to run a 8 play 8 record ardour session with
freqtweak at 64 samples/period sans xruns :)

- Steve