[PlanetCCRMA] Word of warning re upgrading to RH9

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:41:02 2003

I just upgraded my studio machine from RH8 to 9. It was painful :(

For some reason the upgrade decided to eat most of my planet kernels, and
the one remaing working kernel (the one that the upgrade installed) had a
dodgy ethernet driver that casued my machine to lock hard when it tried to
bring it up. As I use NFS a lot it was a bit of a diaster.

Anyway, things are back on track now, I managed to install an old kernel
from /var/cache/apt and use that to bring up eth0, and now I'm syncing
with the RH9 planet stuff.

apt seems to understand whats going on and it replacing basicly everything
:-/

- Steve