[PlanetCCRMA] More Newbie Questions

Julius Smith jos@w3k.org
Wed Aug 27 12:14:01 2003

At 05:19 PM 8/27/2003 +0200, Duke Jonathan Jason wrote:
>my system rh9, 2.4-21.ll.acpi kernel
> >
> > Audacity opens properly however as soon as I try to play any audio it
>quits.

My experience is that it is incompatible with the alsa drivers when jack is
running, but it works great (using the oss emulation layer in alsa, I
presume) when jack is not running.  I asked around and found out the
following from a member of the Audacity development team:

Audacity is using PortAudio for audio I/O, and you can compile Audacity
with either PortAudio v18 or v19.  It ships with v18 since it's more
stable, but v19 has ALSA support.  We're planning to write a HOWTO page
soon, but it's relatively straightforward: replace the portaudio
directory with v19 (from portaudio's CVS tree, ideally), change one
flag (see AudioIO.cpp) and recompile Audacity.