[PlanetCCRMA] recompiling kernel after adding a patch: newbie

Tue Aug 26 09:47:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 06:56, Duke Jonathan Jason wrote:
> > > I saw this output searching on the archives of PlanetCCRMA, with 2
> > > people or more having this result who posted questions, every email
> > > had no answer,
> >
> > It's been answered several times... :-)
>
> I searched all the archives, but I don't assure to have checked so deep :)
> so far I found a longer explanation by u, but u couldn't give details on how
> to modify spec file in that post

Sorry, yes, I have not posted on how to change spec files for the
kernel. I don't think it would be easy to describe...

> > > my system is redhat 9 with the planetCCRMA kernel 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi
> >
> > Do you know if those patches made it into 2.4.22?
>
> I don't know, since I didn't still searched, anyway the modem is a Bewan usb
> adsl st compatible,
> and specifically for mdk9.1 or linux kernels 2.4.21-x needs those patches
> added, since without, after doing a modprobe unicorn_usb, the modem turns
> on, but I get (as specified from the modem drivers documentation) a system
> freeze, and at the reboot a kernel panic after the usb checkin, telling me
> problems with interrupts and somthin else I can't remember...after
> unplugging the usb cable, all works fine...
> but I'm trying to make work all :)
>
> so from my not so documentated point of view these two patches r not kernel
> specific, but modem specific, who work on kernel for being implemented.....

The question was because I'm working (I'm posting this on a machine
running 2.4.22-1.ll.acpi :-) on a newer kernel based on 2.4.22 (which
was just released). It may be possible that the patches you need are
already included in 2.4.22. Could you send me an URL for those patches
so that I can check?

> but probably u mean that I have to install kernel 2.4-22......so another
> question rise...
>
> do I have to uninstall the kernel rpm of 2.4.-21-1.ll.acpi? (doing rpm -e
> .....)

Nope, you can have multiple kernels installed (you _should_ have
multiple kernels installed, normally I always leave the original or
updated redhat kernel installed, just in case).

-- Fernando