[PlanetCCRMA] Jack with YMFPCI

BartonBosch@aol.com BartonBosch@aol.com
Sat Aug 23 11:21:01 2003

I have just installed the RH 8.0 version of the Planet on to my linux partition and am attempting to get MusE working with Fluidsynth and Jack.  I have installed those three packages, the core packages, and a couple of others.  I am using the YMF 740C "card" that is onboard my motherboard.  I should note that the Jack FAQ mentions that some people have reported problems in using Jack with ymfpci cards.

I haven't found a ton of user documentation for Jack, but I have read the sourceforge page, the quicktoots MusE page, and the Alsa page for this card.

I assume that to use Jack with MusE you start jackd first, and then MusE, and configure MusE to use Jack w/ Alsa rather than Alsa only.

When I start Jack I get this:

[root@localhost root]# jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
jackd 0.72.4
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with System V SHM support
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|nomon|swmeter|rt
open
ALSA: cannot set number of periods to 2 for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
starting engine
engine driver not set; cannot start
cannot start main JACK thread
jack main caught signal 15
received signal 11 during shutdown (ignored)

I then tried to use only the playback channel thinking that there was some problem with the capture channel or full duplex, and I got:

[root@localhost root]# jackd -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -P
jackd 0.72.4
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with System V SHM support
running with uid=0 and euid=0, will not try to use capabilites
1209 waiting for signals
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x80586c8 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|nomon|swmeter|rt
open
ALSA: cannot set number of periods to 2 for playback
ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
starting engine
engine driver not set; cannot start
cannot start main JACK thread
jack main caught signal 15
received signal 11 during shutdown (ignored)

Seeing that is was a problem with both playback and capture I tried increasing the number of periods to 3, which seemed to be an improvement.  Unfortunately this did not solve all the problems, as I got this:

[root@localhost root]# jackd -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -P -n 3
jackd 0.72.4
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

1233 waiting for signals
JACK compiled with System V SHM support
running with uid=0 and euid=0, will not try to use capabilites
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x80586d0 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|3|48000|nomon|swmeter|rt
open
jackd: pcm.c:5946: snd_pcm_mmap_begin: Assertion `pcm && areas && offset && frames' failed.
received signal 6 during shutdown (ignored)

What is the problem here?  Is it ususally necessary to run with the periods set to 3 for my computer/card setup?

Thanks,

Barton