[PlanetCCRMA] alsa init scripts

Fri Aug 22 10:25:01 2003

> > If that is fine (which means alsasound will be started
> > automatically on boot) then make sure you have saved the mixer
> > configuration you want to keep, the following command will do
> > that for you:
> >
> >   /usr/sbin/alsactl store
> >
> > (the mixer state will be saved in /etc/asound.state)
> > Currently the script does not save settings when the machine is
> > turned off, it just restores the settings that you have manually
> > stored.
>
> funny. my RH80 based machine does NOT restore the saved mixer
> settings at the moment. (i use the latest cdrom images; with the
> previous cdrom images i am sure it worked!)
>
> symptom:
> after startup/login, all sound channels are muted. after executing
> 'alsactl restore' as root i get immediately my previously saved
> settings (because i did follow the instructions with the 'alsactl
> save' step, heh  =)
>
> any clues as to where to look to fix it?

If you can restore manually then the settings are correct, I guess. The
mixer settings are being restored by the /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound
script. If that is not set to run on boot you will not restore them.
Check to see if the script is activated:
  /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound

If it is not, activate it:
  /sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound

Make sure that when you boot you see messages from the alsasound script.
-- Fernando