[PlanetCCRMA] Yellow Dog Linux, PowerPC and Planet CCRMA

Tue Aug 12 21:07:02 2003

> I'm interested in moving my musical activities to Linux.
>
> I've managed to install Debian on my PC however it has been a real uphill
> battle getting the hardware to work.
>
> I also have a Power Mac 7600/200 that I used to use, but is now in
> "semi-retirement"
>
> I came across the Yellow Dog Linux distribution which is for PowerPC and is
> based on Red Hat Linux. I was wondering whether it would be possible to run
> Planet CCRMA with Yellow Dog on my Power Mac.
>
> Any advice regarding this question would be much appreciated.

It should be possible.
It would not be easy.
:-)
The packages that make up Planet CCRMA are compiled to run on the x86
platform so all of them would need to be rebuilt (from the source rpms)
on the ppc architecture to run under Yellow Dog.

It is not as difficult as it sounds, just a lot of (grunt) work. I did
build a kernel and the alsa driver rpms for a visiting scholar here at
CCRMA that installed YD in his PowerBook so ti is not impossible. YD is
rpm based _and_ includes apt so a lot is already there.

Obviously the problem would be the packages that do _not_ build cleanly
without patches and other fixes :-)

-- Fernando