[PlanetCCRMA] 2 questions - Alsa OSS MIDI Emulation

Mon Oct 28 17:40:02 2002

> 1) In both cases the app receiving the MIDI info is SSM, and it is the OSS
> app.
>
> 2) In the case of live MIDI, if I understand correctly, the alsa environment
> receives the MIDI info and then emulates that OSS interface to make SSM
> believe that a live MIDI keyboard is supplying the data.

That's correct.

> 3) In the case of Rosegarden, Rosegarden is an alsa app sending MIDI data.
> Is it not capable of sending it into the alsa layer and then the alsa layer
> emulating OSS and supplying it back just like item #2?

I think Rosegarden is alsa native, where it can send depends on how it
works internally. If it is a native sequencer alsa client and server the
ports it offers will be listed (I think) by "acconect -l -i" and "acconect
-l -o" once it is up and running.

I believe the kind of routing you are asking about is not possible betwen
the oss (emulated) and alsa. I would ask alsa-devel, or the developers of
Rosegarden itself. Obviously if both apps use the alsa midi sequencer
interface the connection would be possible.

-- Fernando