[PlanetCCRMA] added kaconnect

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Fri Oct 11 13:26:03 2002

I certainly can't say what's best. There are too many type of synthesis to
choose just one anyway, don't you think? Wave table/sample based or
traditional Analog/VA. It's all so fun.

What is so encouraging (and daunting) is that the list of software synths in
the Linux world is so large compared to the Windows/Mac world. This is very
exciting.

My prime list right now (to look into only) is based on what looks like
interesting technology:

Bristol - http://freshmeat.net/projects/bristol/?topic_id=249
amSynthe - http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/
Industrializer - http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~foxx/industrializer/index.html
gAlan - http://galan.sourceforge.net
TiMidity++ - http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/
IIWU Synth - http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/

SpiralSynth - http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SpiralSynth/
Spiral Synth Modular - http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SSM/

I've got Bristol loaded and running. I like it's sounds, or think I do, but
I think it's a non-starter in it's current state as it won't run when I have
Jack running.

Unless I end up with other input, I'm just planning on going through this
list in more or less this order. I'm wondering if I should pay more
attention to SSM as it is at the Planet and it does seem to get a lot of
notice on the lists.