[PlanetCCRMA] redhat 8.0

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Fri Oct 11 10:45:04 2002

Fernando,
   See, I'm such a conservative guy, and all of this software is so buggy,
that I don't want to spend time using software that isn't built right. For
that reason I always feel like I might as well just rebuild everything,
since if I run into a problem the developers are just going to tell me to do
that anyway.

   This raises a bit of a fear instilled in me the last couple of days. The
apt-get update and dist-upgrade seems to have bumped the c compiler, or port
of it anyway. I wasn't paying as much attention as I might have when I hit
'y' and let it do it, but it's done now.

   This makes me worry that stuff is all out of sync.

   I sort of thing I need to blow everything and start over one of these
days. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that reliably except for erase
*.*, reset, search for installation CD.

   [Up on soapbox] This is the MAJOR problem with Linux that I think the
software community will NEVER grasp about the user community and will ALWAYS
stand in the way of everyday people using Linux. Until the installation of
new software is made fool proof, Linux will never move beyond the limited
(but wonderful) group of people that use it today. I long for that day...
[down from soapbox]

   That was the sound of a well meaning but thoroughly bumbling mid-range
user who has now struggled for 2 hours with trying to install amSynthe,
which is failing for library dependencies. So much fun... ;-) PlanetCCRMA
rules when the stuff you want is there...

With best regards,
Mark